Click here to view this collection in the new DAP user interface
Climate Victoria: Reference Evapotranspiration (FAO-56; 9 second, approx. 250 m)
Daily (1990-2014) reference evapotranspiration (FAO-56) across Victoria at a spatial resolution of 9 seconds (approx. 250 m).
Climatology (excl. Climate Change Processes)
01 Jan 1990
31 Jul 2014
A) Data processing:
Daily reference evapotranspiration calculated following Allen (1998; FAO-56).
Daily saturation vapour pressure calculated using the August-Roche-Magnus equation (Alduchov & Eskridge 1996).
B) Input datasets:
1) Gridded daily solar radiation data produced using hourly satellite images as part of the AWAP project were obtained from the Australian Bureau of Meteorology (http://www.bom.gov.au/). Imagery from the Geostationary Meteorological Satellite series operated by Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA) and from GOES-9 operated by the National Oceanographic & Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) for the JMA is used by the BoM to process each daily scene. Analysis of the data series between January 1990 and July 2014 indicated that 4.8% of the scenes were not available (due to data quality issues, technical interruptions, etc.). In order to ensure a continuous data series, gaps for any given day were filled by taking the long-term average across all scenes within 5 days of the target date.
2) Near-surface wind speed (McVicar 2011; https://doi.org/10.25919/5c5106acbcb02)
3) Minimum temperature (Stewart & Nitschke 2018; https://doi.org/10.25919/5c183912b47c7)
4) Maximum temperature (Stewart & Nitschke 2018; https://doi.org/10.25919/5c182fd156dd9)
5) Vapour pressure (Stewart et al. 2020; https://doi.org/10.25919/5e3be4e3511bf)
The research was supported by the Melbourne Research Scholarship (University of Melbourne) with additional funding provided by the State of Victoria Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) through the Integrated Forest Ecosystem Research (iFER) program.
Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence
CSIRO (Australia), The University of Melbourne (Australia)
Stewart, Stephen; Fedrigo, Melissa; Roxburgh, Stephen; Kasel, Sabine; Nitschke, Craig (2020): Climate Victoria: Reference Evapotranspiration (FAO-56; 9 second, approx. 250 m). v2. CSIRO. Data Collection.
All Rights (including copyright) CSIRO 2020.
The metadata and files (if any) are available to the public.
Others were also interested in