Click here to view this collection in the new DAP user interface
NESP Tropical Cyclone Projections Portal
The NESP Tropical Cyclone Projections Portal is a website with interactive features designed to provide information on the historical and projected climatology of tropical cyclone (TC) tracks in the southern hemisphere, with a particular focus on the Australian region.
Tropical cyclone tracks are displayed from periods within baseline and future ... moreclimates simulated by CMIP5 Global Climate Models using the RCP 8.5 emissions pathway, as well as those observed historically and published in the WMO version of the IBTrACS global best-track archive (v03r10). Various other products are derived from these data sets, including climatologies of and changes in:
- spatial density of number of TCs per decade;
- density of storms impacting on Australia's coastline;
- the simulated number and seasonal cycle of TCs;
- relationship of projected change in Australian-region TCs with changes in temperature and precipitation in the region.
Climate Change Processes
Climatology (excl. Climate Change Processes)
Data displayed in the portal were modified and/or filtered tropical cyclone tracks from the IBTrACS best track archive representing observations, or tropical cyclone-like circulations detected in output of CMIP5 global climate models using the RCP 8.5 emissions pathway.
The visualisations within the portal were developed using the programming language R, utilising the package 'shiny' to develop interactive options. Other R packages used include leaflet, ggplot2, and plotly. The PostgreSQL database was built using python, while the density of TCs were created using a custom Fortran program.
This project is supported through funding from the Earth Systems and Climate Change Hub of the Australian Government's National Environmental Science Program.
Data used in the portal were sourced as follows:
- IBTrACS data downloaded from https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/ibtracs/index.php?name=ibtracs-data
- CSIRO Direct Detection TC track data produced at CSIRO by Andres Roubicek, Deborah Abbs, Sally Lavender, Tony Rafter
- Okubo-Weiss-Zeta track data produced at the Australian Bureau of Meteorology by Kevin Tory, Harvey Ye
- ONI data downloaded from https://origin.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/ensostuff/ONI_v5.php
Licence Defined by Data Provider
CSIRO (Australia), Bureau of Meteorology (Australia)
Rafter, Tony; Erwin, Tim; Thatcher, Marcus; Ramsay, Hamish; Gardner, Brint (2019): NESP Tropical Cyclone Projections Portal. v1. CSIRO. Service Collection. 102.100.100/138277
All Rights (including copyright) CSIRO 2019.
The metadata and services are available to the public.
NESP ESCC Extreme weather projections
Development of a tropical cyclone data portal/web tool to provide tropical
cyclone projections in an easy to use way for next/end users
Tropical Cyclone Projections Portal
This publicly viewable interactive display of tropical cyclone projection information was developed as part of Project 2.8 of the National Environmental Science Programme's Earth System and Climate Change Hub, on Extreme Weather Projections.